Company: City of Broken Arrow
Location: Broken Arrow
Our ideal legal advisor will be a servant leader, poised and results-driven, ready to contribute to the mission and vision of the City of Broken Arrow. He/she will exhibit commanding communication skills; will be an avid public speaker, orally articulate with exceptional written communication and listening skills. He/she will have impeccable judgment and analytical skills, able to critically assess, organize and reach logical conclusions from vast amounts of information. Our next City Attorney will be a people person; will be persuasive, a gifted negotiator working with and on behalf of the citizens of Broken Arrow. He/she will demonstrate perseverance and creativity, entertaining out-of-the box concepts to arrive at the most advantageous organizational position.
Back to Job Listings
In their role at the City of Broken Arrow, our City Attorney will perform complex, executive and professional level work as a legal advisor to the City Manager, the Assistant City Managers, the Mayor, the City Council, City staff and various boards, commissions and City departments. He/she will assist in ensuring that the City faithfully performs its functions pursuant to federal, state and locate statutes, regulations and ordinances. He/she will be well versed in municipal practices, having significant experience and exposure in managing the expansive legal aspects of city utilities and capital improvement projects. He/she will advise on issues of law: review agendas, ensure compliance, represent the City in administrative and legal proceedings, conduct research, try cases, draft pleadings, etc. Our City Attorney will oversee the City's Legal Department and department personnel and organize the efforts of the department towards successful completion of departmental assignments and tasks.
Selected by and under the supervision of the City Manager, provides legal counsel to the City Council, City Manager Staff, various City boards and commissions, and the City departments.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assists in ensuring that the City faithfully performs its functions pursuant to federal, state, and local statutes, regulations and ordinances.
- Provides professional legal advice to the City Council, its Boards and Commissions, City Manager, department directors, and employees on issues of law, providing them with information on various topics, reviewing agendas, ensuring compliance with the Open Meeting Act, updating them on tort claims and litigation, and transmitting information sufficient for them to make a decisions.
- Responds to questions regarding various matters of law and forwards questions pertaining to operational issues to the City Manager.
- Prepares for and attends City Council meetings and all other city-related meetings where legal assistance is needed.
- Conducts regular staff meetings and makes assignments on matters outside the general realm of duties.
- Supports the City, City Manager, city employees, and the City Council in litigation.
- Represents the City Council, the City Manager, and City employees in administrative and legal proceedings in federal, state, district and appellate courts.
- Works with attorneys and support staff on completion of various tasks, professional development, and overall organizational structure.
- Conducts legal research and provides a variety of legal memoranda and reports.
- Participates in and oversees attorneys and support staff involved in litigation and tort claims processing.
- Is responsible for discovery, draft pleadings, motions and briefs, taking depositions, and trying cases.
- Provides Municipal Court prosecution, including management by outside counsel (support role in terms of document provision, interpretation of municipal law, general oversight, bill review, and strategy).
- Provides legal advice to City employees, including department directors, on a variety of legal matters regarding labor and employment laws, federal and environmental laws, planning, zoning, land use, subpoenas, Brady/Giglio matters, pending claims, medical malpractice issues, water rights, annexations, open records requests, assessment districts, open meetings, city codes, state statutes, collections, records retention, competitive bidding and purchasing.
- Drafts ordinances, resolutions, contracts, and deeds.
- Reviews documents prepared by other parties.
- Designs and facilitates comprehensive training programs for City employees.
- Responds to questions and problems presented by private individuals regarding City business.
- Supervises department personnel.
- Assists in the development, implementation, and oversight of policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requires graduation from an accredited School of Law, supplemented by three to five years of related experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid Driver's License issued by the State of Oklahoma for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
Possession of an Oklahoma Bar License to practice law, Admitted to practice in Federal Court for the Northern, Eastern, and Western District Courts of Oklahoma, as well as the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.
See online posting at http://www.brokenarrowok.gov/Jobs
Must apply online at http://www.brokenarrowok.gov/Jobs.